Sunburn is red, hot and sore skin caused by too much sun. It may flake and peel after a few days. You can treat it yourself and it usually gets better within 7 days.
- Get out of the sun as soon as possible.
- Cool your skin with a cool shower, bath or damp towel (take care not to let a baby or young child get too cold).
- Apply aftersun cream or spray, like aloe vera.
- Drink plenty of water to cool down and prevent dehydration.
- Take painkillers, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen for any pain.
- Cover sunburnt skin from direct sunlight until skin has fully healed.
- Do not use petroleum jelly on sunburnt skin.
- Do not put ice or ice packs on sunburnt skin.
- Do not pop any blisters.
- Do not scratch or try to remove peeling skin.
- Do not wear tight-fitting clothes over sunburnt skin.
Ask one of our friendly Pharmacists for recommendations to keep you comfortable as you heal.
Source: NHS UK